Thursday, October 29, 2009
OBEDIENCE TO PARENTS
1. Where were the three men going?
They were out for a walk.
2. How did they get shut in a cave?
When they were out walking, a heavy storm forced them to take shelter in a mountain cave. Strong wind and heavy rain rolled down a huge piece of stone from above the cave. The stone came rolling and settled at the entrance of the cave. This is how they got shut in that cave.
3. How did they plan to get away from the cave?
They planned to get away from the cave by calling on Allah by recollecting the acts of kindness they had done merely for His sake.
4. What was the effect of their Du’as?
The effect was that their Du’as were answered; the huge stone which blocked the entrance gave way and they were able to go home safely.
5. What does the Holy Qur’an command us about parents?
In the Qur’an, Allah has commanded us to be kind to our parents thus:
“And your Lord has decreed: Do not worship any but Him, and be good to parents. If one or both of them grow old in your company, say not to them ‘Ugh’, neither chide them, but say gentle words to them, and lower to them the wing of humbleness out of kindness and say: My Lord have mercy upon them as they nourished me when I was small”.
6. Why do parents correct their children?
Parents correct their children because they want them to be good.
7. “Paradise is at the feet of mothers”. Explain.
Kindness, respect and obedience to one’s mother will lead to Paradise.
8. What are our duties towards our parents?
It is our duty to cherish them, obey them, honour them, be kind to them, help them in all possible ways, and make Dua for them. We are commanded not to say even an ‘Ugh’ to them.
9. Mention various ways in which one could help one’s parents.
Parents would be very happy if you obey them and listen to what they say. This would be of a great help to them. One can also help them by doing household jobs and keeping the house clean. One may help them by comforting them and by looking after them in their sickness.
10. What could one do if one’s parents are dead?
Pray to Allah for their forgiveness and success in the Hereafter.
11. Disobedience to parents is a major sin. Explain with reference to the Hadith quoted in this chapter.
“Shall I not inform you about the three major sins?”, once asked the Prophet. Those who were present replied: Yes, O Messenger of Allah. He said, “Associating partners with Allah, disobedience to parents and telling lies and bearing false witness”.
In this Hadith, the Prophet of Islam has clearly categorised disobedience to parents as one of the major sins. It is the right of the parents that their children obey and treat them well!
Labels: Grade 7 (First Term)