As 'Studies in Islam' series of books are still the prescribed text books for teaching-learning Islamic Studies in different countries, it is hoped that this blog will be of benefit to the larger Muslim community spread worldwide. The students in UAE can however log in to http://www.muqith.wordpress.com/

This is from the Mercy and Blessings of my Lord

This is from the Mercy and Blessings of my Lord

الحمد لله الذي هدانا لهذا وما كنّا لنهتدي لو لا أن هدانا الله

All Praise is to Allah Who guided us unto this; Had it not been for His Guidance we would not have been rightly guided!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

The I’tikaf

1. What is I’tikaf?
I’tikaf is to stay in a mosque for a certain number of days, especially in the last ten days of Ramadan.

2. What was the practice of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) regarding I’tikaf?
It was the practice of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) to spend several days and nights during Ramadan in the mosque, devoting himself to prayer and meditation, to the exclusion of all worldly activities.

3. What is the purpose of I’tikaf?
The main purpose is to seclude oneself from all worldly activities, and devote one’s whole time and energy to the remembrance of Allah.

4. Mention the kinds of I’tikaf?
There are two kinds of I’tikaf: Sunnah Mu’akkadah and Wajib

5. What conditions control the act of I’tikaf?
Three conditions control the act of I’tikaf:
  1. The Niyyah
  2. 2. To be in a state of purity
  3. Staying in the mosque.
6. What are the commendable things in I’tikaf?
1. To recite the Qur’an and understand its meanings
2. To engage oneself in the zikr (remembrance) of Allah
3. To seek forgiveness of one’s sins
4. To invoke blessings upon the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)

7. What are the permissible things in I’tikaf?
1. To leave the masjid to relieve oneself or to take bath or for any lawful need
2. To leave for salatul jummah, if it is not held in the mosque where one is observing I’tikaf.
3. To eat, drink and sleep in the mosque.

8. Mention the things that nullify an I’tikaf.
1. Leaving the mosque intentionally without any genuine reason
2. Conjugal relations
3. Loss of purity by menstruation in case of women

Saluting the Glorious Messenger of Allah

Peace Be Upon Him